Clot Connect (clotconnect.org) is an outreach initiative housed within the Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill which since late 2010 has provided information on the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. Clot Connect has evolved rapidly during the past 3 years and this growth is highlighted in a special report which details the history and outreach activities of the program. The report is available, at this link.
Highlights of the program report include:
- Since 2010, over 423,000 people from over 190 countries have been connected to information on the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism through ClotConnect.org. (page 7)
- The clotconnect.org website receives between 20,000-30,000 unique individual visitors each month. (page 7)
- The 'networked community' continues to grow. 1,000+ persons receive the program’s email newsletter each month, ~1200 persons have opted to receive blog updates by email, ~1000 linked via social media. (page 7)
- The program has increasingly engaged in national clot education initiatives (page 5)
- Clot Connect is entirely supported through grants and donations. The program is currently in need of sustainable funding to continue the provision of services. (page 8)
Improving health outcomes requires a multifaceted approach and education--of both patient and health care professional--is a key component in supporting a comprehensive care model. Clot Connect presents a unique opportunity to address an unmet need.
For patients, it means empowering them with knowledge about their condition and treatment so they can be active partners in their health care, resulting in better and safer treatment, greater satisfaction and an improved quality of life.
For health care professionals, it means providing them with the information and resources they need to confidently and consistently provide quality care to patients who have experienced venous thromboembolism.
Clot Connect is pleased with the successes of the past two and half years, but realize there is far more to do. We look forward to continuing to meet the educational needs of patients and health care professionals.
Clot Connect's Mission
To increase knowledge of venous thrombosis, thrombophilia and anticoagulation by connecting patients and health care professionals to educational and support resources.
Clot Connect's Vision
To become the premier resource for information on venous thrombosis, thrombophilia and anticoagulation by addressing what patients and health care professionals have on their minds and want to know about thrombosis, thrombophilia and anticoagulation.